The Accelerated Masters of Arts in East Asian Studies (AMP in EAS) is offered only to academically talented University of Arizona undergraduates majoring in East Asian Studies (including double- or triple-majoring).
Like the regular MA, the AMP in EAS requires a minimum of 33 units. What distinguishes the AMP from our regular MA is the timeline: rather than completing 33 units of coursework over a period of two years after receiving their BA, AMP students may take up to 12 units of graduate coursework (500 level) during their senior year which will count toward both the BA and the MA in EAS. To count these units toward both degrees, you must be enrolled as an AMP student, and fill out this form (for each graduate level class that you take as an undergraduate), and submit it to the Graduate College.
- Completion of a minimum of 75 undergraduate credit hours will be required at the time of application; a minimum 0f 90 undergraduate credit hours will required at the time of entry into the AMP. If the student's GPA falls below 3.3 at the time they have completed 90 units, the student will not be admitted into the program. Courses taken for audit may not be included in the total number of units counted for eligibility or admission.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a minimum of 12 units of undergraduate credits at the University of Arizona.
- Completion of at least 12 earned undergraduate credits in their major at the University of Arizona's main campus. Units still graded Incomplete, units graded Pass/Fail, or units taken as audit will not count toward the requirement of the 12 undergraduate units.
- Completion or near completion of general education requirements at the time of application.
- Submission of a graduate application and payment of a graduate application fee.
- Demonstration of the maturity necessary for success in an accelerated, highly competitive program.
- Expectation to complete the undergraduate degree within four years. The undergraduate degree requirements must be completed before the student is eligible to have the Master's degree awarded.
- Admission by the established process in EAS, with a deadline of January 15th.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors with whom they have studied at the University of Arizona
- A writing sample
- A statement of purpose
- A recommended minimum GPA of 3.5
Note that the Accelerated Masters in East Asian Studies is a 'stand-alone program,' and students are not automatically considered for promotion to the PhD program. Those AMP graduates seeking admission to the PhD program are eligible to apply to it through the regular application procedures, and their application will be considered alongside the other applications to the PhD program.