Frequently Asked Questions

Go online to, then click on the “apply now” button.
A processing fee must be paid at the time of application.

International students must apply online by January 15th.
Domestic students must apply online by January 15th. 

On-line application
Processing fee
iBT-TOEFL scores, and optionally, GRE scores (have the scores sent by the testing agencies).

University of Arizona = 4832 
East Asian Studies = 2601 - (not required to list)


iBT-TOEFL must be current (which means within the last two calendar years).
We must receive a current TOEFL for every international student
(this is a Graduate College/University rule).
You will not be considered for financial aid without a passing score.

Minimum passing scores:

Paper test: 550
Computer based test (CBT): 213
Internet based test (iBT): 79


GRE scores for domestic and international applicants are optional.

With the exception of the official transcripts (which need to be mailed in), all of these items will be uploaded with your Graduate College online application.

  • TOEFL scores, optional GRE scores
  • Letter or statement of purpose
  • Two letters of recommendation (there is no form letter or specific format)
  • Original transcripts
  • Department financial aid application
  • Writing sample (for Ph.D applicants only)

January 15 is the deadline for everyone. Application review begins shortly after January 15th, and applications are reviewed only once. Missing materials could adversely affect your application.

The materials will all be uploaded with your online application. If you have trouble uploading any of the items, you may email them to Frank Whitehead at

EAS reserves the right not to review your application.

Your application cannot be considered.

They are uploaded along with your online application.

  • In what capacity the recommender knows you
  • Length of time the recommender has known you
  • If the recommender thinks you are capable of the level of graduate study
  • If the recommender thinks you could teach (and if so, what)
    • (example: basic Chinese (or Japanese) language classes or general education classes conducted in English)

The department will begin reviewing and will process as quickly as we can after February 1st. See the Admissions Process page for details.

Usually by late March (shortly after we receive the budget from Central Administration).

If you are selected for admission, you will receive an email from the department. 
If you are denied admission, the Graduate College will notify you by email. 

If you are recommended for admission, you will find out about financial aid in late March (unless we have not received the budget yet)

The Department will send you an e-mail. You must accept or refuse our offer in writing by April 15 (this can be done by e-mail). The department will then work with the Graduate College to process paperwork.

Once a student is accepted by the department and has accepted our offer, the Graduate College and the department work together to process all the paperwork as quickly as possible. When SEVIS documentation is ready, the Graduate College notifies the department and the department coordinator picks up the materials and will FedEx to the student.

You can defer your admission for up to a year, upon department discretion.

Not all students are selected to be Graduate Assistants, Teaching (GATs) because:
a) we do not have positions available
b) we do not have funds
c) student has not taken and passed the University of Arizona ESPE test


You will not be employed. You will need to take and pass a one-semester course offered by the University Teaching Center before you can be considered for a teaching position. Even then, we may not have any teaching openings in the Spring semester.

The department will administer the test. Email Frank Whitehead at for more information.

It will be stated in the offer letter, but usually by the second week in August.

The hiring paperwork cannot be completed until you are on campus. The hiring paperwork cannot be processed until your ESPE test results are available and you have passed. The paperwork takes a while to be processed. If all goes well, you could get your first check within a few weeks.

No. We do not provide room, board, or books. If you are employed, you are eligible for free individual medical insurance. (If you need a family insurance plan, you must pay for it.)


No, you would need to complete an M.A. degree and then apply to the Ph.D. program.

No, you would be considered along with all the other applicants.