Students who choose to minor in East Asian Studies can select either the Language Option or the Culture Option, as described below.
The Language Option requires the completion of at least 20 units in either Chinese or Japanese language. At least 9 of these units must be taken at the University of Arizona.
The Culture Option requires the completion of at least 18 units, including at least 9 units at the upper-division level. At least 9 units of work toward the minor must be completed at the University of Arizona. All UA credits applied to the minor must come from courses that are offered by the East Asian Studies Department or cross-listed as EAS Department courses, except in the case of a split or thematic minor (described below).
Ordinarily, students who select the Culture Option will structure their minor in one of the following three ways:
- By selecting courses that focus on one East Asian culture area (either China or Japan). Courses in Chinese or Japanese language may be included.
- By selecting courses from a single academic discipline (such as anthropology, history, linguistics, literature or thought and religion).
- By devising a “split minor” or “thematic minor” that combines a minimum of 9 units in East Asian Studies with a minimum of 9 units from thematically related courses offered by one other department.
In all cases, it is the student who is ultimately responsible for meeting departmental requirements for the minor. Students are urged to consult with the undergraduate advisor throughout their undergraduate program.
For questions about EAS majors/minors and/or to declare a major/minor, contact:
Dr. Maggie Camp
To make an appointment with Dr. Camp, please click here.
For questions about language class placement, placement exams and class content, contact:
Cindy Shih (firstname.lastname@example.org), 520-626-3816
Mariko Karatsu (email@example.com), 520-621-4417
For questions about study abroad programs in China, contact:
- Dr. Wenhao Diao (firstname.lastname@example.org), 520-621-0106
For questions about study abroad programs in Japan, contact:
- Dr. Nathaniel Smith (email@example.com), 520-621-5476